CLUB HISTORY

 

At the close of the 1967 season the officials and club members of St Stephens felt that as they were virtually a church team, having strong ties with the St Stephens Presbyterian Church in Ipswich they were finding it hard to expand the club while under many of the club conditions.  It was therefore decided at a meeting in a room at the City View Hotel in 1968 that the Hockey Club known as St Stephens would be withdrawn from the Ipswich Mens Hockey Association and an application be submitted to enter a new club under the name of Western Suburbs Hockey Club.

As the colours worn by St Stephens  were white shirts with a blue V and because of limited finances it was decided to submit the colours for Wests as black and white. This allowed the old St Stephens shirts to be used by replacing the blue V with black and having the white shorts changed to black. The task of changing the shirts was taken on by Dot Sawyers.

Most of the players and supporters transferred to the new club which registered  65 players in 4 grades, A, Reserve, C and D. The youngest members (players)  were Paul McIntosh and Greg McPherson both 9 and the oldest at 34 was George Sawyers.

Although Ipswich ladies hockey also began in 1931, the same year as the men, St Stephens did not have ladies sides and so in Wests inaugural year the club comprised of mens and boys teams only.

In the 39th Annual Report of the Ipswich Mens Hockey Association it stated "We saw the start and growth of a new club this season namely Western Suburbs Hockey Club, who replaces St Stephens in Ipswich Hockey". Wests showed it was going to be a club to be reckoned with. At the close of their first season their A grade team just missed out on the premiership but gaining Runners Up honours while both the C and D grade boys took out the premiership.